The Olbrich Botanical Gardens are on land given to the city of Madison, Wisconsin in 1921 by a wealthy resident. The Gardens were created in 1952 when the City allocated money to begin construction and are a partnership between the City and the private sector. The Olbrich Botanical Society helps support the Gardens which include the Herb and Rock Gardens, the Bolz Conservatory, the Thai Pavillion and Garden as well as Wildflower, Sunken, Perennial and Rose gardens. The Gardens, facilities and programs serve people of all ages, abilities and incomes.
Groundwork for the San Antonio Botanical Garden began in 1970 on 33 acres owned by the City. Funding included moneys from a bond issue, foundation grants and other private and public grants. A non-profit Garden Center operates the Garden which is owned and maintained by the City. In this public/private partnership the non-profit San Antonio Botanical Society has brought major capital improvements to the Garden as well as community events and family days, making the Garden a compelling attraction for the City of San Antonio.
Inniswood Metro Gardens was once the 37 acre estate of two sisters in Westerville, Ohio and donated to Franklin County Metro Parks in 1972. Operation and maintenance funds are provided by the public sector, but continued growth and development come from private citizens and philanthropic organizations. Inniswood offers education in horticulture and the natural sciences for children and adults, and such programs take place in the sisters’ former home.
The City of Bellevue, Washington owns and manages the Bellevue Botanical Garden in concert with the Bellevue Botanical Garden Society and other community groups. The Society is a non-profit organization established in 1985 in partnership with the Bellevue Parks Department. It is managed by a Board of Directors and supported by volunteers. Funds come from dues, fund raising events, donations and grants. The Society provides free public events, and its programs educate over 1,000 students annually. In 2002 it funded a new 1/3 mile long trail which opened 20 acres of meadow and woodlands previously inaccessible to the public.
The Cheyenne Botanic Gardens are part of the 62 acre High Plains Arboretum on land acquired by the City of Cheyenne (population 65,000) in 1986. The Gardens protect existing plants, restore plantings and add new plants of note. The Friends of the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens has been responsible for the funding and development of all capital projects since 1995 and supports the volunteer program. The Gardens depend on a labor force composed mainly of seniors, handicapped and youth “at risk” which provides 90 percent of all labor at the Gardens.