Mission and Goals
Mission and Vision Statement
McIntire Botanical Garden is a sustainable, admission-free garden in Central Virginia, bringing people and plants together in a natural, restorative environment.
Display and Enjoyment
- Design and implement, in partnership with the City of Charlottesville, a beautiful landscape garden and ancillary facilities on 8.5 acres in the eastern section of McIntire Park.
- Display native and site adapted plants in designed and natural settings that complement the existing parkland and enhances the site’s topography.
- Create spaces for gathering and garden observation/enjoyment for visitors of all ages.
- Unite the garden through regionally appropriate architecture and landscape design.
- Create a garden that is a place of discovery for all visitors through active and passive programs of interpretation and education.
- Serve as an educational resource for all regional residents, public and private educational providers, and the City of Charlottesville, emphasizing the disciplines of horticulture, design and the natural sciences.
- Provide educational and interpretive labeling of demonstration gardens, display gardens, and special exhibits throughout the garden using best available technology.
- Present adult and children’s symposia, workshops, classes and other opportunities to explore horticulture and nature.
Stewardship and Conservation
- Preserve and enhance the existing features of the site while designing and managing gardens that complement the natural character of the park.
- Design and manage the site and its resources in a sustainable manner.
- Design and manage the garden to enhance habitat value.
- Implement a financial model that ensures sustainable funding.
- Form an advisory committee of local scientists, allied academics and Board representatives to develop a research plan for the garden; enlist the advisory committee to foster and direct research objectives.
- Establish partnerships with local and regional academic institutions to fund and direct research programs within the garden.
- Assure that research programs are consistent with the mission.
Updated and approved by the McIntire Botanical Garden Board, August 30, 2016